Wi-Fi HaLow™ for the Internet of Things
Wi-Fi HaLow™ is the name the alliance is designating for the products incorporating IEEE 802.11ah technology. Wi-Fi HaLow™ is targeted at the Internet of Things (IoT), which includes the smart home, connected car, and digital healthcare, as well as industrial, retail, agriculture, and smart-city.
1. Wi-Fi HaLow devices operates in frequency bands below One GHz, it extends Wi-Fi into the 900 MHz band.
2. Wi-Fi HaLow offers longer range, lower power connectivity to Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ products. Overall power requirement by Wi-Fi HaLow devices is reduced by using lower power MAC protocols such as smaller frame formats, sensor traffic priority, and beaconless paging mode.
3. Wi-Fi HaLow will enable a variety of new power-efficient use cases in the Smart Home, connected car, and digital healthcare, as well as industrial, retail, agriculture, and Smart City environments.
4. Wi-Fi HaLow enables the low power connectivity necessary for applications including sensor and wearables.
5. Wi-Fi HaLow’s range is nearly twice that of today’s Wi-Fi.
6. Wi-Fi HaLow provides a more robust connection in challenging environments where the ability to more easily penetrate walls or other barriers is an important consideration.
7. Wi-Fi HaLow will broadly adopt Wi-Fi protocols and deliver many of the benefits including multi-vendor interoperability, strong government-grade security, and easy setup.
8. Wi-Fi HaLow devices will be tri-band, with access points in the home having 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 900 MHz functionality, providing connectivity throughout a property.